Serving the men and women of the U.S. Coast Guard since 1924
Donate Now


General Information
Applying for Assistance

Financial Information
Financial Statements
Annual Reports
Historical Information
Campaign Reports
990 Statements

Rep's Area
Info For New Reps
Navigating CGMA
CGMA Manual
Case Management
Outreach Program
Rep's News
HQ Items
Campaign 2015
Coast Guard
Mutual Assistance

1005 N. Glebe Road
Suite 220
Arlington, VA 22201
(703) 875-0404

(800) 881-2462

QR to Facebook Page

Like Us on Facebook


Applying for AssistanceAir Station Clearwater

General Information


Any eligible person may request assistance from CGMA by contacting a CGMA Representative (Coast Guard service personnel may also contact one of the other Military Aid Societies or the American Red Cross for emergency assistance when they are unable to apply through CGMA) and completing the appropriate application for assistance. 



Contact your local Coast Guard Mutual Assistance Representative for additional information.


Basic Requirements

Small blue button Generally the CGMA client will apply for assistance for themselves or for their family members.  However, when the client is not available, family members may apply. More Information Button
Small blue button Each person requesting assistance must provide valid identification
Small blue button Prior to providing assistance, Representatives must verify each individual’s status. This can be accomplished by checking their military or civilian identification card. DEERS enrollment can be used to verify military dependency status
Small blue button Representatives must also verify that the individual is not on the CGMA Restricted List
Small blue button Assistance will be provided in accordance with the Coast Guard Mutual Assistance Manual and policies and procedures as established by the CGMA Board of Control


Where to go for assistance

Your local CGMA Representative is the best person to contact when you need assistance. However, if you are away from home, you may receive emergency assistance from any CGMA Representative.

Location of CGMA Representatives


Other Military Aid Societies and the American Red Cross

CGMA has reciprocal agreements with the Air Force Aid Society, Army Emergency Relief, and the Navy-Marine Corps Relief Society.



With these reciprocal agreements, Coast Guard military members may receive emergency assistance from these organizations when Coast Guard Mutual Assistance is not available and Coast Guard Mutual Assistance will provide assistance to their members when their parent aid society is not available.



Requests for non-emergency and education assistance should go through your local Representative and not these agencies. This may involve faxing or mailing requests for assistance that are not time critical to the nearest CGMA Representative. (Note: requests for the Stafford/PLUS Loan Fee Refund (CGMA Form 8) and the CGMA Layette Program (CGMA Form 7) should be sent directly to CGMA-HQ, not to your local CGMA Representative.)



Coast Guard military members may also receive emergency assistance from the American Red Cross when Coast Guard Mutual Assistance is not available. 


What to Bring With You

Small blue button Your valid Coast Guard ID card
Small blue button Your Leave and Earning Statement
Small blue button Documents to support your need for assistance (copies of bills or statements, estimates for car repairs, rental agreement, eviction notice, utility bills, etc.) More Information Button


What Else Will Be Needed

Application for Assistance

  • An application for assistance must be completed for each request for assistance. More Information Button

  • Applications are available to download in Adobe Acrobat (pdf) format.  (If you do not have Adobe Acrobat Reader on your computer, you may download it free by clicking here Get Adobe Acrobat Reader)

  • Applications may also be obtained from your local CGMA Representative

  • Most requests for assistance will be made using a CGMA Application for Assistance (CGMA Form 5) however, there are a few exceptions:

Small Green Arrow

Under certain circumstances, active duty service members and reservists recalled to active duty may be eligible to apply through the Quick Loan Program then (CGMA Form 1) must be completed

Small Green Arrow

If assistance is for a CGMA Layette (Welcome Gift for Baby) thenCGMA Form 7 must be completed

Small Green Arrow

If assistance is for a Stafford/PLUS Loan Fee Refund then CGMA Form 8 must be completed

Small Green Arrow

If assistance is for a CGMA Supplemental Education Grant (SEG) then CGMA Form 10 must be completed

Small Green Arrow

If assistance is for a CGMA Education Loan then CGMA Form 11 must be completed

Small Green Arrow

If assistance is provided by another relief agency, they will provide their application form to be completed

Budget Form


In addition to the application form, in most cases a CGMA Budget Form (CGMA Form 15) More Information Button must also be completed and submitted with the application.

Pre-Authorization Form


When the CGMA Client isn't available More Information Button one of the following items will normally be required prior to providing assistance.

  • Power of Attorney

  • Pre-authorization Form (CGMA Form 16)

  • Verbal or written consent of the CGMA client

Command Endorsement


A command endorsement More Information Button will normally be required for requests for assistance from active duty members, Auxiliary members, civilian employees, and Reserve members not stationed at the same unit as the CGMA Representative. All other applicants may, if they choose, elect to include such an endorsement as part of their application for assistance.

Additional Documentation


Depending on the nature, scope and complexity of the request, additional supporting documentation or information may be needed to process the request. More Information Button Applicants are encouraged to attach separate letters, statements or other documents to their application when necessary to help support their request and explain extenuating circumstances that would not be evident in the application and other documentation.


Need More Information?

Small Green Arrow Detailed information concerning assistance is contained in Section 3-D of the CGMA Manual

Small Green Arrow Review our General Information Brochure

Small Green Arrow Contact your local Coast Guard Mutual Assistance Representative

Small Green Arrow Call CGMA-HQ (800) 881-2462 or (703) 875-0404
Small Green Arrow Send us an email:

"We Look After Our Own"

top of page

Links | Site Map | Viewing Tips

Coast Guard Mutual Assistance is a 501(c)(3) Non-Profit Organization